I worked for many years at IOL, the online arm of one of South Africa’s major newspaper groups. In addition to being a breaking news site, it offers many “channels” in areas like sport or motoring or business.
While working there, I moved from working on breaking news to running channels like entertainment or lifestyle. I was also the go-to person to stand in for any member of staff on any channel.
I can take the basic principles of online editorial work and apply them wherever they are needed. Those skills encompass:
• Understanding the diary of events and setting the daily content agenda
• Copytasting according to editorial policy and readers’ needs
• Editing copy according to house style
• Finding and editing pictures
• Writing compelling headlines and blurbs
• Working at speed (and making calls about quality versus quantity on a minute-by-minute basis)
• Specialist projects like live tweeting or live blogging
• Posting to social media in accordance with the site’s policies
I can offer these skills on a freelance basis to any media house who may need them.